Sipsmith was started in 2009 by our founders Fairfax and Sam with the mission to open the first copper distillery in London in almost 200 years and bring London Dry Gin back to its home -- made the way it used to be and we think should be. Since then we’ve grown tremendously, acquiring new stills, recruiting new drinkers and building on our great team, as well moving premises to a new site in Chiswick, West London. Moreover, we’ve recently joined forces with Beam Suntory, a company which values heritage, craftsmanship and people as much as we do, and the opportunities for our team and brand are now even more exciting. In addition, at Sipsmith we like to think we have created a great place to work where you can be creative, autonomous and have lots of fun at the same time. We believe that it’s our team here that drives our great culture that makes our business what it is (on top of our world class gin), so we work very hard to ensure that everyone in the business loves what they do and feels like part of the family. We are looking for someone for whom this resonates with and will be a great addition to the bus from the word ‘go’.
Title: Sipsmith Quality & Continuous Improvement Manager
Reports to: Head of Operations
Based at: Sipsmith Distillery, 83 Cranbrook Road, London W4 2LJ
Salary: Competitive, with bonus + benefits
Profile: This is a great opportunity to join Sipsmith at an exciting time to help improve our production processes for a world market. This role will lead process development and improvement efforts in Quality and Food Safety applications, assist with implementation and maintenance of quality management systems, and lead/coordinate problem-solving with partners in Research & Development, Procurement, Manufacturing. This position will suit an individual keen to drive change management in the business by implementing a culture of continuous improvement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
– Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Biology or related field
– IBD Qualification in Brewing/Distilling is a plus
– Five years’ experience in a manufacturing quality setting
– Food industry and/or spirits is a plus
– Demonstrated ability to implement and maintain ISO 9001 quality management systems. Knowledge of ISO 22000, HACCP, COSHH.
– Demonstrated understanding and application of technical skills including understanding of a broad set quality engineering skills:
– Statistical process control
– Formal risk assessment
– Process capability
– Demonstrated root cause analysis and problem-solving skills
– Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
– Demonstrated internal auditing skills
– Must have strong communication and organisational skills
– Trained to an IOSH standard
– Recognised Project Management Qualification desired (Prince 2/Provek)
– Clean UK driving licence
– Build, monitor, and manage systems to maintain Sipsmith/Beam Suntory quality and food safety standards through new product launches and changes to existing products.
– Act as a Quality lead, working cross-functionally to drive performance of the Beam Suntory quality system.
– Work directly with site-level teams across all functions in the application of quality assurance/control programs and problem-solving methodologies, ensuring standardisation of procedures and full compliance with ISO standards as appropriate.
– Lead, facilitate and participate in risk assessment sessions with project teams for the qualification of new ingredients, packaging materials, and products. Coordinate quality/food safety control plan activities through start-up and verification stages.
– Coordinate the reporting of key performance indicators to Quality, including consumer and customer complaints, top-level manufacturing metrics, and develop/implement new metrics based on quality system/business needs
– Support the quality system through co-man qualification audits, documentation review, and supplier KPI management
– Assist with implementation and maintenance of integrated management systems (ISO 9001, ISO14001, ISO18001, ISO 22000/HACCP) at Sipsmith.
– Provide training and coaching to staff and production employees in the areas of auditing, problem solving, SPC and other statistical tools. Develop and present organisational Quality initiatives to key stakeholders in the organization.
– Conduct co-packer audits. Assist with development of co-packer manuals. Partner with suppliers to identify root causes associate with nonconformities.
– Develop a Continuous Improvement Culture in the organisation, Drive best practice within the organisation in all areas. These include Quality, Health & Safety, Environmental Compliance, Manufacturing Efficiency and Best in Class Hygiene standards.
– Drive Protect The Castle and Monozukuri principles into the Sipsmith business by supporting Operation and Supply Chain teams to be best in class.
How to apply: Please send your CV to [email protected] with the subject title ‘Quality & Continuous Improvement Manager’ and a cover letter explaining your experience and why you would be a good fit for Sipsmith.
Closing date for applications: Now Closed