At Sipsmith, we have always been fuelled by people, purpose and occasionally by gin. In 2009, the Sipsmith founders Fairfax, Sam and Jared set out on a mission to bring gin back to its birthplace, London: to make it the way it used to be made, as it should be made. In turn, they created a legacy for what has become a global renaissance. The Sipsmith swan, the brand’s distinctive icon now seen around the world, started as an homage to the bespoke “swan’s neck” on the gin still, which gives Sipsmith gin its distinctive flavour and smoothness.
Since then, Sipsmith has grown by leaps and bounds, we have acquired new sites, new stills, and recruited new sippers around the world. In 2017 we joined forces with the Beam-Suntory family, a company which values heritage, craftsmanship and people as highly as we do, creating incredible opportunities for our people and brand.
In May 2021, we proudly became a B Corporation™ certified business and in turn articulated our long-term sustainability strategy of “Crafting a Better Future”, setting in motion a sense of purpose beyond profit in all that we do.
Meaningful change requires a great deal of hard paddling under the surface. We believe it’s our team here that drives our great culture, that makes our business what it is (on top of our world class gin). Our company values are the foundation of everything we do, and we work hard to ensure that everyone in the business loves what they do.
We like to think that we have created an incredible place to work: where you can be creative, autonomous, work with purpose and have fun at the same time. We’d love for you to come and join us.
Sipsmith is committed to building a culturally diverse, equitable and inclusive organisation, encouraging applicants from all backgrounds to apply for our opportunities.
|Title:||Quality & Sustainability Compliance Lead|
|Term:||Part time, permanent position (we are happy to consider applications for working 3 or 4 days a week in this role)|
|Location:||We work flexibly. This role does need you to regularly work from our home, The Distillery, 83 Cranbrook Road, London W4 2LJ|
|Reports to:||Head of Production & Supply Chain|
|Salary:||Competitive, with bonus + benefits|
At Sipsmith our mission is to ‘Be the best gin in the world, for the world’, championing sustainability across all we do. This is a great opportunity to be part of leading our sustainability agenda.
Focusing on our Kaizen! mentality, you will support us achieving our mission by:
- Working with Sipsmith Operations and Beam Suntory Teams to implement an Integrated Management System for Sipsmith (to include ISO 9001, 14001, 45001) and supplementary policies and arrangements for the business to ensure full compliance to relevant legislation.
- Supporting our leadership team in developing and implementing Sipsmith’s sustainability strategy to maintain B Corp accreditation
- Provide first line specialist support and advice on all ISO standards and B Corp requirements to managers and colleagues
- Working with Beam Suntory Proof Positive team on delivery of Sipsmith’s energy, water and carbon reduction plans through a programme of initiatives which improve Sipsmith’s overall environmental performance.
- Monitoring quality performance for Sipsmith, identifying areas for change and driving process improvements with distilling team.
What you’ll do
- Take the lead in developing Sipsmith’s Quality Management System (QMS) and embedding policies with the operational team.
- Build, monitor, and manage systems to maintain quality and food safety standards through new product launches and changes to existing products.
- Develop and roll out program of audits for key suppliers to improve quality standards throughout the supply chain.
- Support the customer service team with insight to define metrics and targets for customer satisfaction as well as clear process for customer feedback and complaint investigation.
QUALITY MANAGEMENT AND STANDARDS
- Create an Internal Audit program to ensure compliance is maintained and aligned with the company’s mission and strategic objectives
- Work with distilling team to implement Quality Management System and promote a culture of Monozukuri within the team.
- Investigate out of process incidents, reporting to Distillery Manager and distributing results to the distillery team.
- Provide support for annual external audits and other processes as scheduled.
- Provide training and coaching to staff and production employees in the areas of auditing, problem solving, SPC and other statistical tools. Develop and present organisational Quality initiatives to key stakeholders in the organization.
- Conduct co-packer audits. Assist with development of co-packer manuals. Partner with suppliers to identify root causes associate with nonconformities.
- Develop a Continuous Improvement Culture in the organisation, Drive best practice within the organisation in all areas. These include Quality, Health & Safety, Environmental Compliance, Manufacturing Efficiency and Best in Class Hygiene standards.
- Drive Protect The Castle and Monozukuri principles into the Sipsmith business by supporting Operation and Supply Chain teams to be best in class.
- Lead the development and operation of Sipsmith’s Environmental Management System, ensuring compliance with relevant standards (eg ISO14001).
- Support the Exec Leadership team to shape and plan key strategic elements to improve environmental sustainability.
- Act as key contact for Beam Suntory sustainability team to ensure that we are aligned with Proof Positive Strategy.
- Prepare improvement action plans, business plans and feasibility studies to demonstrate the efficiency of initiatives for approval. Where approved, manage projects to completion and report on outcomes.
- Take a key role in Kaizen to develop initiatives for environmental sustainability and carbon reduction throughout Sipsmith, including the promotion of carbon management, water and plastic usage and energy reduction activities. Lead the development of energy awareness initiatives.
- Ensure energy use and other key metrics are reported monthly in order to measure progress towards Sipsmith’s agreed targets, and benchmark this against external organisations using national and regional indices.
- Compile monthly MCRS reporting for Beam Suntory alongside other members of Operations Management Team
- Provide quarterly business updates that track key metrics of our B Corp score
- Own project coordination of re-accreditation to B Corp (3 yearly), ensuring improvements are logged, evidence is compiled
- Work in partnership with Team Culture to promote sustainability awareness through staff inductions, staff development programs and sustainability awareness to bring about change in attitudes and behaviour.
- Coordinate cross-functional collaboration and work towards continuous improvement in our work on environment, community & customers in line with our growing for good goals, and continuing B Corp commitments.
What we can offer you:
- Competitive salary and bonus potential
- Company pension scheme with 8% employer contribution.
- Hybrid and flexible working
- When in the office you get to work by the stills and see distillation in action
- Private Healthcare through Vitality with access to their Employee Assistance Programme (EAP);
- Monthly free gin!
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- 2 paid volunteering days a year
- Cycle to work scheme
- Access to financial well-being platform Bippit
- Enhanced sick pay (including two mental health days a year)
- Enhanced parental leave (6 months fully paid leave for primary caregivers and 1 month for secondary)
- Quarterly company team days and monthly social events organised by our Ministry of Fun
How To Apply
Please send your CV to [email protected] with the subject title ‘Quality and Sustainability Compliance Lead, alongside a cover letter explaining your experience and why you are a good fit for Sipsmith, a completed Diversity & Inclusion monitoring form, how many days per week you are looking for (3 or 4 days) and your salary expectations.
Closing date for applications: 9th August 2022